Friday, April 29, 2011

Skirting the issue

A couple weeks ago I took an old pair of Alyssa's jeans (that still fit her but never wore because of the flare on the bottom) and changed them from this:


(okay, not these jeans -- I had already cut Alyssa's up before remembering to take a photo)




To this!



All I did was cut the jeans across the knees, took apart the inside leg seams and up the back a bit, then flattened it all down nice and sewed it up. Then I made a hem and voila!


Unused jeans to worn at least once a week skirt!!!



Alyssa thought it was really cool and all her friends couldn't believe I made it.

It does look better in real life, but alas, my photography skills have been left behind in the dust while I goof around with my sewing machine...



I had bought some stretchy jersey knit the other week so I could make myself a skirt.

Got it all made up, tried it on, then asked Alyssa to try it on.

It looked better on her then me!

*sigh*



It is a yoga type skirt with a really REALLY comfortable waist, with an added ruffle on the bottom.

Sewing with stretchy knit was a LOT easier than I thought it would be! I love the drape of it, but more on Alyssa this time. :o)






And those jeans in the first photo? I had tried to do the same thing with a pair of my jeans, which were too big for me (I hate it when that happens! lol). The problem arose when I tried it on pinned up skirt style. The jeans are stretchy material, and they had been worn so much that the derriere part was a little over stretched (I hate it when that happens!!!) so it looked really dorky.

So the jean material has been relegated to my sewing material pile, and I went out and bought not one but two skirts to make up for this injustice! (there was a sweet sale)

But I didn't get a jean skirt, so maybe I will have to raid my closet (or Alyssa's!) and find a pair I can use for me!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments they keep me encouraged :)