Thursday, April 7, 2011

sew busy

This past week I had mentioned on my personal blog that sewing machine was going to get a good workout this week.

And it has, I think.


Monday I spent putting a bunch of patches on clothing for a friend, and Tuesday I started a project for myself.

My old purse was starting to fall apart, and rather than shell out $$$ to buy a new one, I decided to try make my own.

I found this bag tutorial at http://bluebirdbaby.typepadcom/phots/bag_tutorial/index.html and had it sitting in my inbox waiting patiently for me.

I noticed that it had a center panel, which gave me the perfect opportunity to use the rest of the fabric that I loved so much here: http://sewintocrafts.blogspot.com/2011/02/im-back-after-enjoying-nine-blissful.html

I even have a little bit extra! Now what do with that...

Anyways, here is the finished product. Since it was such a deep bag (YAY!!!) I added a middle divider and extra pockets to keep things a little more organized.


I used longer middle panels and ruffled the edges to give it a little more visual interest. I also put in a zipper instead of the button it called for. I like to have all things in my purse a little more contained -- and hidden from a certain 2 year old! :o) Best of all it has room for everything -- and more! -------------------------------------------------- I worked on my purse Tuesday and Wednesday, and then today I made up another pay it forward gift. This bunting was a good way to use up scraps of fabric. I love how it turned out -- even the bias tape was recycled from my little guy's crib bumper pads!

This bunting has a little secret though... This gift is for a sweet lady in our church who has boys, but also a girl! And girls can't have blue bunting, can they?

Well, not all the time, anyways.

So I made the bunting REVERSIBLE!!!!




So I have this sweet piece of pie ready to go...


Only ten(?) more to go.... better get back to my machine!!!

5 comments:

  1. How cute!! You must have inherited the sewing gene from Grandma. It seems to have bypassed me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the bag! Wish I could do that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I like the bag. Is the strap long enough to actually go around someone's body comfortably? lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bekki, I can wear it on my shoulder, or across my chest... :o)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments they keep me encouraged :)